Friday, April 5, 2013

First 20 Mile Run Preparation

Last week should have been my 20 miler. I wasn't feeling good. In fact, I thought my chest was going to explode. I went to an acute care facility, got an Electrocardiogram and a chest X-ray. They tested me for strep throat, which turned out to be negative. I wasn't sure what to think when I left. Oh, it's the way I felt when I leave most doctors. No solutions, No ideas, "no running" he said, Well...So far my last 3 doctor appointments which were with someone different every time left me feeling uncared for. I felt like a cog in their machine, another insurance check to help with their BMW payment. Anyway. sorry, had to get that off my chest.

On to the positive. I'm feeling great now. One thing my chest pain taught me was to appreciate when you feel good. We truly don't know how good we have it until we don't. #fithappygirl gave me one of the best tips I can think of...well perhaps it's just the most recent. I've learned a lot since joining the running club. She pointed out on her post she talked about a tip she received to think of a 20 mile run as four 5 mile runs. GENIUS! That's how I'm thinking of this one! Hopefully I have the same successes she had during her run.

I've made my map for the run.  5 miles will take me outside of my neighborhood and the one next to it, the second 5 miles will take me most of the way through another neighborhood I use for my 5 mile runs.  The third 5 mile run will get me about midway through the Rollins Savannah, part of Lake County's Forest Preserve and the final homestretch 5 miles will get me out of the savannah and back into my neighborhood.  I'm hoping someome can join me, especially for the back 10, ahem, I mean the last two 5 milers.

On top of that, it's supposed to rain, so we'll see how that goes, hopefully the trails through the savannah aren't too muddy.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment